Compassion is currently rebuilding the facilities of local church partners. Long-term solutions include ensuring that a water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) strategy is in place at each of the 44 centers (including schools) that were destroyed or severely damaged by the quake.
A technical team has been hired, and five trained Haitian engineers will manage the rebuilding of up to nine centers. This external construction team includes engineers with expertise in seismic design who also are training local engineers and contractors on building practices that take seismic stress into account.
The 44 Compassion church partners in the earthquake-affected areas of Haiti are working with this team of engineers to develop custom rebuilding strategies that include structures, latrines and clean water source solutions.
Haiti Quick Facts
- Population: 9,648,924
- Language: French and Creole
- Religion: Roman Catholic 80%; Protestant 16% (Note: Roughly half of the population practices voodoo)
- Economy: Poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, with 54% living in abject poverty.
- Under 5 mortality rate (2008): 72/1000
- People living with HIV/AIDS (2007 estimate): 120,000
- Literacy (age 15 and over can read and write): 52.9%
- Primary school net enrollment/ attendance (2003-2008): 48% male; 52% female
- Secondary school attendance (2003-2008): 18% male; 21% female
Sources for facts: The World Factbook, 2010; The State of the World’s Children, 2009